top of page

Transgender Legal Documents

Montana Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in Montana, an applicant must submit a petition to the court. The applicant must publish notice of the hearing time and place in a county newspaper for four weeks. The applicant may request the petition and hearing to be sealed for their safety. (Mont. Code Ann. §§ 27-31-101 & 27-31-201 to 27-31-205).Montana Drivers License Policy & Procedures

In order to update name and/or gender on a Montana ID, the applicant must submit a certified copy of a name change order to change the legal name, and a letter from a doctor stating that the person is in the process or has completed the process of changing their gender.

The Montana Department of Justice addresses name change here.
Name Change Page
Montana Birth Certificate Laws

As of December 17, 2017, Montana will issue a new birth certificate with an updated name and gender upon receipt of an affidavit from the individual, a government-issued ID showing the correct gender, or a court order. No court order or proof of surgery is required.

To apply for an updated birth certificate, an applicant must submit:

Correction Affidavit signed by the applicant.

Copy of your photo ID.

Check or money order for the applicable fees ($27 for one amended certificate, additional copies are $5 each)

One of the following items as documentation of gender:

A completed gender designation form (not yet available from the Department) certifying under penalty of law that that the individual has undergone gender transition or has an intersex condition and that the gender designation on their birth certificate should be changed accordingly, and the request for gender designation is for the purpose of ensuring the birth certificate accurately reflects their gender and is not for any fraudulent or other unlawful purpose; or

A government-issued identification displaying the correct gender designation; or

A certified copy of an order from a court with appropriate jurisdiction indicating that the gender has been changed.

Submit the application to:

Montana Vital Records
PO Box 4210
Helena, Montana 59604

You can call Vital Records at 406-444-9039 or 406-444-4226 for additional assistance.
Correction Affidavit
Montana Vital Records

Information from:

bottom of page