top of page

US Passport

Selecting your Gender Marker

The information below is directly from the U.S. State Department


You can select the gender marker you would like printed on your U.S. passport. The gender you select does not need to match the gender on your supporting documentation such as a birth certificate, previous passport, or state ID. We no longer require medical documentation to change the gender marker on your U.S. passport.

At this time, you can select male (M), female (F), or unspecified or another gender identity (X) as your gender marker if you are applying for a U.S. passport book and selecting routine service. You can apply in-person at a passport acceptance facility or renew by mail

Beginning in late 2023, you will be able to select X as a marker if you are requesting expedited or urgent travel service. You will also be able to request (X) for the following documents we issue:

  • Passport cards

  • Emergency passports printed at embassies and consulates 

  • Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBAs)

Note: You may use our Form Filler or download the PDF version of your passport form if you are requesting a passport with an X gender marker. 



bottom of page